Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day One, an Introduction

The assignment:
To keep a woven diary that reflects the nature of a person, place, or thing on a day by day basis. One entry per day, one skein per day, based on one photograph for that day.

Here is the first image in my month-long photo diary. This is a place that I frequent often, though it is not my home. Every day there are new people, more clutter, and subtle shifts of light that give this corner of this small room so much personality. I adore the gigantic-ness of the chair, and the space created by the window and the expanse of wall. I hope that over the next month, these pictures and the skeins that accompany them will help to tell the story of the people who inhabit this space.

In terms of materials, I am interested in working with linen and bamboo in particular. I have yet to settle on a particular weave, though I am very fond of twill, especially the traditional bird's eye. I absolutely cannot wait to begin!

No comments: